Monday, February 06, 2006

Slowdive: Souvlaki Review


I was introduced to this band mostly after finding out about the Faunts, which many reviews on Amazon related to the likes of Slowdive, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros. I picked up this Slowdive album shortly after reading a few of those Amazon reviews on the Faunts' album High Expectations / Low Results.

Wow.

Yes, it is a very old album; it came out in 1994 and the band disbanded in 1995, but the texture of the audio and the layering of guitars and various other instruments seem to take this album beyond contemporary indie rock. The haunting vocals that supplement the melodic music in the background flow right with the music, supplementing the slow, shoegazing sound pioneered by this band.

Souvlaki Space Station is easily my most favorite song on the entire album, although I would say that the rest of the songs are extremely solid, all the way from Alison to In My Mind.

I know, you might be saying that this is a very biased review. It is. I love this album too much. Get it.

7/8 Pizzas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home